Sunday, 3 April 2011

The Waterslide

The Waterslide

My heart was thumping furiously. I tried to look casual as I tentatively lumbered towards the slide, casting my eyes down. Slowly, fearfully, I glanced up. It lay before me, a massive, intimidating monster. I shrank at the sheer size of it, rooted to the spot. Although I had been eager to go on, now all desire to do it vanished.

Suddenly, it was my turn. Gripping the rails so tightly my knuckles turned white, I gradually climbed the ladder, my toes curling around each rung. Anticipation. Nervousness. Finally I reached the top.

Sitting on the edge of the slide, I felt a rush of wind that sent a shiver up my spine. All of a sudden, I felt a wave of determination fill me, as I remembered last year, the sense of accomplishment I felt when I got out. I could do this! So I fixed my gaze on the murky, marbled water below me-I could just pick up the foul stench of the lake. I gritted my teeth. Began a countdown. Three…Two…One…GO!

Zooming down the slide, I felt an adrenalin rush. I squinted against the spray and drew a deep breath. Before I knew what was happening, I felt myself being flung, carelessly, into the lake; A shuddering jolt went through me as I hit the water.

Filthy, disgusting water surrounded me. I began sinking. Eventually I came to my senses. Frantically I started to kick towards the surface. Before long I emerged, spluttering.

Dazed, I began to painstakingly swim towards the black tyre Melissa had thrown me. I let her reel me in, feeling the slimy tentacle-like plants swirl around my feet. “How was it?” inquired Melissa. I turned around, hair tousled, eyes shining.
“Amazing!”

By Margarita

No comments: